Our scale enables us to care for more people in more places. The joining of HCA Healthcare and Mission Health stands as a symbol for how we continue that accomplishment.
Mission Health—North Carolina’s sixth-largest health system, and now HCA Healthcare’s North Carolina Division—operates six hospitals as well as numerous outpatient and surgery centers in Asheville and the surrounding region. Recognized by IBM Watson Health as one of the nation’s top 15 health systems, it’s a beacon of health and hope for colleagues, patients and the local community.
HCA Healthcare and Mission Health share a focus on patient-centered care and are united in similar values and longstanding legacies. “We are excited that Mission Health chose to be part of the HCA Healthcare family,” says CEO Sam Hazen.“We look forward to investing in western North Carolina and ensuring Mission Health’s 133-year tradition of caring continues for years to come. This is a model partnership and one we hope will be replicated to benefit many similar communities.”
Mission Health becomes our 15th division. Over the coming years, HCA Healthcare will make meaningful investments in Mission Health’s community by:
- Building a 120-bed inpatient behavioral health hospital in Asheville
- Building a new replacement hospital for Angel Medical Center in Franklin
- Completing the new, state-of-the-art Mission Hospital for Advanced Medicine in Asheville
- Creating a $25 million Innovation Fund focused on improving healthcare service delivery and spurring economic development
Additionally, the purchase will fund a new nonprofit called the Dogwood Health Trust. This initiative serves western North Carolina communities by collaborating with local nonprofits to address social determinants of health and well-being. The trust expects to begin grant funding for approved initiatives as early as 2020.
Mission Health will continue to manage its facilities and hospitals from a local level, while tapping into HCA Healthcare’s capabilities in operations, capita access, clinical trials, research, predictive modeling, analytics and more. In turn, HCA Healthcare will benefit from Mission Health’s deep expertise and knowledge-sharing across the organization.
Mission Health by the Numbers
- 12,000 colleagues + 2,000 volunteers
- 50+ certifications for medical specialties and subspecialties
- 7 Centers of Excellence
- 130+ years of service throughout western N.C.
- The state’s sixth-largest health system based in Asheville